Tuesday, July 1, 2008

My favorite male groups of all time

There are plenty of male groups I am a huge fan of but if I were to narrow it down it would be the original Temptations, and Earth, Wind & Fire. The original Temptations were form in Detroit with Eddie Kendricks, David Ruffin, Paul Williams, Melvin Franklin and the only living original member Otis Williams. Their tremendous run of eight R&B no.1s before David was replaced was never matched by the future lineups that came after and that group is considered by many to be the greatest male R&B group ever.

My other favorite all time group is Earth, Wind & Fire. I think that’s largely due to knowing how much of a huge fan my mother was of them and played them a lot when I was a very young child. While The Temptations biggest success came in the 1960s, Earth, Wind & Fire became massive stars in the 1970s. This group which was formed in Chicago, was headed by Maurice White, and featured numerous lineup changes but the two vocals that always stood out where Maurice’s and Philip Bailey. Besides being some of the best musicians they also put on awesome stage performances that many groups of that era borrowed from.

Honorable mention of groups I loved include the Jackson 5/Jacksons, the Commodores, the Ohio Players, the Whispers and the O’Jays.



1 comment:

Tami P said...

The Ojays 'For the love of Money' has been one of my all time favorites for ... well, forever, lol. I adore the Tempations too, although I never really got into EWF. I liked a few of their songs, but not like with the Temptations I loved every one of them.