Monday, June 2, 2008

HDTV pushes back the CD

So I go into Best Buy this past Saturday and I’m looking for a current hot release, but when I go into the store what greets me the HDTV; I’m looking to the left and looking to the right but the HDTV is like notice me. Finally I see the CD racks but they are very small in number almost as if they are in a small circle surrounded by TV’s and stereo systems and home appliances and suddenly im thinking is it me or has the store made the decision for me save your gas, stay at home get online don’t come to the store. It’s not like when you used to go to the store and you’d get excited about a new album release and go and stand in line as the new album was played throughout the store, having sales people actually know about all types of music and having a great time talking them up no instead it’s the CD’s are right there but this week you can get that 27 inch HDTV for 499 with a 100 dollar rebate, talk about having that HDTV pushing back those CDs.

2 comments:

Tami P said...

I know it's sad. I don't know who is to blame really---the public for not being intested in 'hard copies' any more when they can get easy access to downloads, or the companies who simply have stopped pushing cd's anymore.

TV still has the country enthralled--not bad for a 'phase' like our grandparents thought it was. The worry over the new digital signal has everyone up in arms, and rushing out to buy the newest sets. (Cool marketing ploy on tv manufactuerer's parts).

Really though, a lot of the blame needs to go to the artists themselves for spending more time trying to imitate the past instead of creating the future.

music notes said...

The last part of your post misswrite really nails it the lack of creativity of current artists who settle for being the same imitators. So laziness brings about lack of sales and gives stores a reason to downsize shelf space and put more big ticket items out thus futher eroding the excitement of purchising music at the store.